My Archive

11 March, 2009

WRITTEN IN EARLY SPRINGS

"WRITTEN IN EARLY SPRINGS"

I heard a thousand blended notes while in a grave I sat reclined,
in that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts bring sad thoughts to the mind.


To her fair works did nature link the human soul that through me ran;
and much it grieved my heart to think what man has made of man


Through primrose tufts, in that sweet bower,
the Periwinkle trail'd its wreaths;
and this may faith that every flower enjoys the air it breaths.


The birds around me hopped and play'd their thoughts I can not measure,
but the least motion that they which they made it seemed a thrill of pleasure.


The budding twigs spread out their fan to catch the breezing air;
and I must think, do all I can,
that there was pleasure there.


If this belief from heaven be sent,
if such be nature's holy plan,
have I not reason to lament what man has made of man ?

WILLIAM WORDSWORTH. (1770-1850).