Born- 24th April, 1973.
Nick Names- Master Blaster, Little Master, Tendlya, The Little Champion.
Batting Style- Right Handed
Bowling Style- Right Arm Leg Spin, Right Arm Off Spin.
Shirt No.- 10.
What can I say about Sachin Tendulkar that has not already been said or written about? Isn't it enough to say that the world has been lucky to see him play for past 20 years? Who had ever imagined that a little 16 year old boy from Mumbai who stood for India against Pakistan on 15th November, 1989 in Karachi, becoming the 3rd youngest cricketer and the first Indian to represent his country, will not only go on to break all the records that were made by legends like Sir Don Bradman, Vivian Richards, Garyfield Sobers and Sunil Gavaskar but will also set such statistics that seemed like a mere joke then.
The best thing about Sachin is that despite scaling new peaks of popularity and respect, he has both feet planted firmly on the ground. That's the reason why he has survived 20 long years as a top level athlete and continues to prosper all form of life. He has gone on to climb dizzy of heights, he has got married, raised a family, and somehow remained the same humble man throughout. He never opened his mouth to reply his critics, he just answered everyone from his bat. It's an honor to talk about the man I've admired all my life. As a kid I enjoyed watching his feats on TV and he was the only reason why I fell in love with cricket.
Who can forget the 1999 World Cup, when he played even though his father passed away midway through the tournament? He took a break to attend the funeral and returned quickly to score a century, then looked up to the skies to seek his father's blessings. It was a very touching and emotional moment for every Indian. The poignancy of that moment has stayed in the minds of all who watched that knock. I am no exception.
I remember that test match against Australia last year in which he surpassed Brian Lara's world record of highest runs (11945) in test cricket. In the post-match press conference, the little master as humble as ever, said, " I have never let the passion die inside me, the passion of representing my country. I always dreamed playing for India and and whatever the records I have made or broken, may be the consequence of that. There will come time when people will throw stones at you, but only you can convert them into milestones."
The two matches that he played against Australia in Sharjah in April 1998, made him a true legend. It was a triangular series. He made a century and took India to the final. Then again in final, on 24th April, 1998 which was also his 26th birthday, he made fantastic 131 runs to see India winning that tri-series. It was after that match when Legendry Spinner Shane Warne said " I saw Sachin hitting me all over the park in my dream."
TEST INTERNATIONAL MATCHES
First Match- 15th Nov,1989
* Maximum Centuries- 42*
* Half Centuries- 53*
* Double Centuries- 4*
* Wickets Taken- 44*
* Best Bowling Figure- 3 Wickets For 10 runs in one inning of a match.
* Catches Taken- 102
* Highest Score- 248 not out, Sydney, Australia.
* Test centuries against all cricketing nations.
* Fastest batsman to reach 10000 runs in test matches till now.
* Became the 2nd most youngest batsman to score a century in 1992 when he was 22.
* 5th Batsman to get past 10000 runs after Don Bradman, Allen Border, Sunil Gavaskar and Brian Lara.
* 3rd Batsman to get past 11000 runs after Allen Border and Brian Lara.
* 1st Batsman to get past 12000 runs.
* Played most no. of Test Matches- 159*
* Maximum Century against 1 opponent. Australia, Centuries- 10*
* In 2002, Wisden rated Sachin as no.2 Test Batsman of all time, after Sir Don Bradman.
*And So on.........................................
ONE DAY INTERNATIONAMATCHES.
First Match- 18th December,1989
* Maximum Centuries- 45*
* Maximum Half Centuries- 91*
* Highest Score- 186 not out
* Only player to remain in ICC's Top Ten ranking for 10 years.
* Between April 1990 to April 1998, he played every single match that Team India played, 185 consecutive matches, a world record.
* First one to appear in 400 One Day matches.
* First batsman to get past 10000,11000,12000,13000,14000,15000,16000 and now 17000 runs.
* Scoring over 1000 runs in one calender year for most no. of times, in 1994,1996,1997,1998,2000,2003 and 2007.
* Most no. of centuries in a calender year. Year-1998, Centuries- 9.
* Most no. of runs in a calender year. Year- 1998, Runs-1894.
* Most no. of Man-Of-The-Match awards- 60*
* Most no. of Man-Of-The-Series awards-18*
* Most no. of runs by any batsman in worls cup matches. Runs- 1796* at an average of 59.87.
* Most no. of Man-Of-The-Match awards in World Cup matches.
* Centuries against all the test playing nations.
* Most runs and centuries by any batsman against any opponent. Opponent- World Champs Australia, Runs- Over 3000,Centuries- 9.
* Played on maximum no. of grounds all over the globe. (Over 90 different grounds).
* First to score over 1000 runs against all crickting nations.
* Only batsman to have over 100+ innings of 50+ runs.
* Holds the record for standing in maximum runs for opening partnership along with Sourav Ganguly.
* In 2003, Wisden rated Sachin as all time no.1 batsman for OneDay's. Sir Viv Richards was at2.
* Wickets Taken- 154*
* Best Bowling Figure- 5 Wickets For Just 32 Runs in a match.
* Catches Taken- 132*
* And so on........................................
COMBINED RECORDS OF ONEDAY'S AND TESTS.
* Maximum Runs- 29961*
* Mamimum Centuries- 87*
* Haximum Half Centuries- 145*
* Maximum Matches- 495*
* And So on.....................................
SOME UNIQUE RECORDS
* First Batsman to have given out by the 3rd Umpire in 1992. TV reply technology was introduced in cricket the same year.
* The only batsman to have made a century on his birthday. (24th April,1998.)
* The Only batsman to have given out Leg Before Wicket (LBW) while the ball hit helmet. (He bent down to avoid a bouncer but the ball kept low.)
* First overseas player to play for Yorkshire in county cricket.
All the keys of my keypad would stop working but I don't think I'd be able to justify him. I leave every thing to you guys. Go to wikipedia or anywhere and find it out yourself but I'm sure still you'd miss many records and facts. I have mentioned a few most important records, but remember, I've only mentioned the International records and haven't mentioned domestic and county records. He is still playing with the same intensity and whatever I've written, would get surpassed within few days. But I also want to mention that I don't judge him on the basis of his records.
SOME INTRESTING FACTS
* He fell from a tree while trying to get glimpse of a TV set because film GUIDE was showing on the national TV.
* His infuriated brother Ajit packed him off to cricket coaching class as a punishment.
* The 1st ball that Sachin faced was of his grand mother in childhood.
* He wanted to become a right arm fast bowler.
* Sachin stood in a 664 run's partnership with Vinod Kambli in Domestic cricket, a world record.
* After the 1992 world cup, he well had become a permanent part of Team India but he immediately accepted the call to play for his school.
* Except batting, he does everything from his left hand including writing, Eating and playing table tennis.
* He always keeps a tri-color pasted inside his kit bag.
* He always puts his left pads first.
* He also has got a wax statue in Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum.
COMMENTS FROM OTHER LEGENDS
* Late Sir Don Bradman- "This little fellow bats like me."
* Melody Queen Lata Mangeshkar- "I admire the way he looks up to the heavens wheneverr he completes a century. It means he is thinking of God blessing him, and that's a great thing. He attended my concerts many times but he is such a gentleman that he never came up to say, 'I am here.'
* Sunil Gavaskar- "What a legend."
* Amitabh Bachchan- "I have delayed my shoots many times to see Sachin bat."
* Bengal Tiger Saurav Ganguly- " I've never seen Tendulkar throw tantrums, on or off the field. There is no better sight in Cricket than master in full flow."
* Shane Warne- " I saw Sachin hitting me all over the park in my dream."
What do I think of Sachin now?
Greatest Human Being.
चल पड़े जिधर दो पग डगमग
चल पड़े कोटि पग उसी और
पड़ी जिधर वो निश्छल दृष्टि
पड़ गए कोटि दृग उसी और
I'm not a Hindu, I'm not a Muslim, neither a Sikh nor a Christian. I follow Cricketism and I worship Sachin.
Stand up and cheer for the little master as World celebrates 20 years of his International career. Nishant Nischal.